MZ disk interface MZ-1E14
( for the MZ-700 )
Three types of files can be cataloged on a MZ disc:
- BASIC text file ( program )
- Sequential data
- Machine language ( system software, etc. )
Up to 32 files can be cataloged on one side of a disc ( the number
of files equals to the number of programs or group data entries ). If
only one program file is cataloged per side, the maximum storage capacity
is 64 Kbytes. As the number of files increases, the storage capacity
decreases. This is because a gap is required between files. Sequential
data files are blocked in units of 1 Kbytes; the maximum storage capacity
of a disc side is about 40Kbytes.
| Parts of the interface
Remove the data recorder, or the cover ( for MZ-711 or MZ-710 ).
To connect the MZ disc drive to an MZ-700 series computer, perform the
- Turn off the power of the computer and unplug the AC cord. Remove
the two screws holding the data recorder from the left rear side of
the computer. Lift the data recorder out of its mounting. ( See picture
- Remove the connector ( CN1 ) between the data recorder and the MZ-700
the data recorder is to be used, connect it to the MZ-1F11 connector
( click here for details ).
| Install the MZ-1F11
- Remove the bottom plate of the MZ-1F11 as follows:
- Unscrew the screws holding the bottom plate at the rear side.
- Remove the bottom plate in the direction indicated by the arrow.
- Connect CN2 ( from the bottom of MZ-1F11 ) to the connector of the
computer main unit that was originally connected to the data recorder.
( See picture below )
- Mount the MZ-1F11 where the data recorder was originally, using
the screws that held the data recorder in place.
| Connecting the MZ-1E14 and the MZ-1F11 ( see picture above )
- Remove the cover for the external output terminal ( I/O bus ) at
the back of the computer main unit by unscrewing the two screws for
mounting the MZ-1F11.
- Plug CN5 of the MZ-1E14 into the external output terminal at the
back of the computer and secure it with the two screws you just removed.
- Insert CN3 at the rear of the MZ-1F11 into CN4 of the MZ-1E14 and
secure the connection using the screws originally securing CN3.
This completes connection of the MZ-1F11, the MZ-1E14 and the computer.
| Connecting the data recorder ( see picture above )
The remover data recorder can be connected as an external unit to the
computer as follows:
- Remove the cover for CN6 from the rear of the MZ-1F11, then insert
CN1 from the bottom of the data recorder into CN6.
- Use the extension cable to be connected to CN1 and CN6, if you prefer
more distance between the data recorder and the computer main unit.
This step completes the procedure. Switch on the power, and check operation.
Click here for the pinout of the connectors.
Click here for the technical data.